July 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Day

One day a year, I like to reflect on those things for which I am thankful.

I am grateful for my faith, for my walk with Jesus. When I look to the life of Christ, I see that God became man and walked among us. He left an example of life lived in the present, care for others, humility, and peace. The ultimate role model. Faith is a gift and I am grateful. I am thankful for my new church, Grace and Peace Lutheran, which shares God in action by its ministries in our community.

I am grateful every day for my wonderful family. Husband is My White Knight. Remember the song from “The Music Man?” ….All I want is a plain man, all I want is an honest man, a quiet man, a simple man, a straightforward and honest man,a man who will sit with me in a cottage somewhere in Iowa. And I would like him to be more interested in me, than in himself, and more interested in us, than in me. And if occasionally he would ponder, what makes Shakespeare and Beethoven great, him I could love ‘til I die, him I could love ‘til I die.

I think I will keep Darien the Librarian who is all of those things and more. He makes me laugh every single day, even on a day when another tree falls down in our backyard, or the college bill comes in the mail (and that was just today.)

I am grateful that Son is healthy and happy and enjoying college life. I appreciate the fact that he is insatiably curious and open to exploring different ways of thinking. I am grateful that I still have my parents – that my mother could legibly sign my birthday card. I am thankful that my father is more intellectually engaged in his community than probably at any other time in his life, except college. I am thankful for wonderful memories of many happy birthday parties with little girls in summer party dresses, planned by my mother with creativity and perfection. And always an angel food cake with white boiled icing on a white and gold glass cake plate, the cake made by Mrs. Blanche Hathaway

I am thankful that, while ailing, my mother-in-law still can enjoy small things in life. I am thankful for my brother who is a great brother –in-law and uncle. I am thankful for my brother-in-laws and my sister-in-laws who are fun to be around and very good people. I am thankful for my nieces and nephews and their spouses. (Did I mention that my nieces and nephews are all incredibly smart and good looking?)

I am thankful for my friends – my lifelong and college friends who accept me as I am and know all my dirty little secrets– my friends who have stepped up and supported my writing attempts(and are actually reading my works) – my ex-work colleagues who are continually buoying me up and having my back – my friends who laugh with me, pray with me, breakfast and lunch with me – my friends who are also my “pen pals.” I am continually overwhelmed by the joy and love I am given every day. Quoth the raven who is very grateful.