February 8, 2010

Margaritas and Jello Shots Better on Saturday Night

A cable news story this morning caught my ear: the largest public school district in Indianapolis had a two-hour delay this morning.

The reason? No, it wasn't because of the ten inches of snow the city got on Saturday. It was because in 2007, when the Indianapolis Colts won the Super Bowl, so many yellow bus drivers called in sick that school had to be cancelled.

This bothers me for soooo many reasons.

Here --let me throw a leg over the back of my High Horse -- and tell you why I think so.

Of course people want to party. It's Super Bowl. But for half of a group responsible for children to party so much that they call in sick -- where is their sense of responsibility? (Call me a "party-pooper" but that's the way I feel.)

Okay, so "everybody is doing it." No--everybody is not. (That's what my mom told me in the fourth grade when all the other girls got go-go boots and I had to wear my red rubber boots to school in the winter.)

Sometimes you just have to suck it up. I'm not sure I want my child's bus driver to have been drinking Jello shots just 12 hours before the early morning ride.

Maybe there's a better way.

Maybe we need Super Bowl Saturday instead of Super Bowl Sunday. Think about it. Excessive partiers would have all day Sunday to recover -- travelers wouldn't have to fight the Monday morning airport rush. Teams would still have 13 days to psych out their opponents strategies, and one less day of media hype is just fine with me.

Pass the Doritos, fellas.