August 11, 2010

American Idle

Former almost-son-in-law and baby daddy to Bristol Palin's child Levi Johnston announced today that he is running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska. The mayoral post was formerly occupied by Tea Party doyenne and potential 2012 Presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

According to Variety, Johnston's agent is pitching a reality show about the run for the mayoral slot. Who in the world would want to watch this show?

In our household, we've lost traction in keeping up with Pop Culture. I officially proclaim us "out of it." And I think I like it that way.

I used to get really annoyed with my parents who seemed to be stuck in the late 1950s, not the before Elvis shaking below-the-belt rock and roll, rather the white shoes Pat Boone, Connie Francis, Mamie Pink 1950s.

It's too difficult to follow all these pseudo-celebrities and their Andy Warhol 15-minutes-of-fame (see Stellaa's great post on the Jet Blue employee who lost it -- http://open.salon.com/blog/stellaa/2010/08/10/another_viral_nothing).

If it weren't for Open Salon, I would be completely out of it. I'm still trying to figure out the difference between Harry Potter and Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life.

I know snippets of these things from satellite radio news, and yet for any context I seem to be stuck in pre-1980, not the Donna Summers disco, Jimmy Carter malaise, but the pre-Ronald Reagan time when Democrats were moderate Republicans and moderate Republicans were conservative.

I am from a time when twenty-year-old baby daddies didn't run for office, when dancing with the stars meant watching black and white Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movies, when airline employees wore hats and white gloves and served meals to customers in Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes.

Oh, I know the "good old days" weren 't always good, but sometimes I am blown away at the simple, common courtesies that have evaporated just like the ice shelf off Greenland.