May 7, 2012

Arts and Antiques in New Harmony


NHARMONY12 002
New Harmony, Indiana, is an artist's village on the Wabash River about forty miles from our home. This afternoon we took our cameras and made a photo walk through an arts and crafts show and some antique stores.
The town has been home to utopians and Shakers (and apparently some Movers, also) and has a wonderful spiritual feeling--from the 1960s era Roofless Church and vintage brick buildings to the labyrinth.
A perfect place for a Sunday afternoon walk.
NHARMONY12 007
Among the real spring flowers, one artist made these large flowers in metal, along with the globe-like structure below. After being soundly chastised for doing so in a gallery at Hatteras one summer, I generally tell the artists I mean no harm and am only photographing what I find beautiful or interesting. Some like the Amish want none of it.
NHARMONY12 009
NHARMONY12 011
A young friend, who has been like a daughter to me since she was eight, displayed some of her pottery. She is very good at creating beautiful glazes.
NHARMONY12 036
This local woman was spinning, and told me that the wheel was 150 years old and came from the Chech Republic.
NHARMONY12 043
In the antique shop, I was intrigued by this pink glass hand as well as a variety of bowls, books and boots.
NHARMONY12 040
NHARMONY12 059
NHARMONY12 054 When we make a trip like this, I always see things I want and don't buy. My house usually looks like one of these antique shops and I'm trying to go the other direction.
But I really wanted this "Ike, Ike, Ike" pin. Don't diss me now -- I was born in the 1950s and it was a very different world. I liked Ike. And Mamie pink.
I did not ask the clerk about the provenance of the pin, so maybe it meant something else.
NHARMONY12 060