December 7, 2008

Will Mrs. Schlossberg Go to Washington?

Trial balloons were sent up from the Upper East Side of New York last week regarding a possible Caroline Kennedy bid for Hillary Clinton’s Senate seat. I admit to being a huge Caroline Kennedy fan and have followed her with great interest. We are almost exactly the same age, and I remember watching blurry images of Caroline and Macaroni the pony on our black and white Dumont television.

Chris Matthews of MSNBC’s Hardball said on his show Friday night that “everyone wanted to marry Caroline Kennedy when he was younger.” Now, Chris, I have to tell you, I think you might be mistaken. I think you mean Marcia Brady (yes I do realize is a character from television’s The Brady Bunch, and was played by Maureen McCormick.).

As an adult woman, Caroline Kennedy is an elegant, gracious, intelligent, highly educated woman who has raised a family, written interesting works on law and history, picked up the mantle of civic activism from her mother, and quietly carried the huge legacy of her family of origin. Still Matthews would have probably chosen Marcia Brady in 1973 over the Caroline Kennedy of 1973. (My expertise in proffering this opinion is that I was sixteen in 1973 and looked like Velma from Scooby-Doo.)

While Matthews gushing may be over the top, the Daughter of Camelot brings a lot to the plate in the Senate and I wish her well. Quoth the raven.